The Friends of
you to Old Teversal
“The Best Kept Secret in Nottinghamshire”
History of Teversal
"Teversal is a village and parish in the Mansfield Union, situated on rising ground near the source of the river Meden, four miles west of Mansfield. In 1871 it contained 73 houses and 373 inhabitants." [Wright's Directory of Nottingham and twelve miles round, pub 1874]
Teversal has been known by diverse names over the centuries. At the time of the Domesday Book it was recorded as Tevershalt; in 1204 it was spelt Teversholt and Tevershall by 1216; it has also been known as Tyversholtee (1337), Teversale (1349) and Tevershall (1562). In later years the more common forms were Teversall and Teversal, and the latter is the current spelling. The suffix of 'sal' is from an old Saxon word meaning 'a seat or dwelling, mansion, palace or hall', which indicated that some early landowner had a residence here. In the Domesday Book Teversal is recorded as being part of the lands of Ralph, son of Hubert, who also owned land in Kirkby-in-Ashfield. Ralph had 2 ploughs and one freeman with one bovate. Nine villagers had 3½ ploughs. There was also one mill listed, valued at 16d. The mill was frequently associated with the name 'Newboned', and in 1895 a mill was still in existence in Newbound Lane.
From 1154, the land at Teversal was owned by the Barre family (sometimes spelled 'Barry'). This family continued as Lords of the Manor of Teversal until 1434 when Johannis Barre, the last male in the line, passed the land on to his daughter Christina, who had married into the Greenhalghe family.
The Greenhalghe's remained as
Lords of the Manor until the death
of Christina's grandson Roger in
1562. He willed his lands at
Teversal to his son-in-law Francis
Molyneux, and this family
remained attached to the village
for nearly 150 years.
The Molyneux family was closely
connected with mining, and in
about 1703 Sir John Molyneux
added a 'sough' or drainage ditch
- which, even then, cost about
£20,000. The Molyneux Pit was
the scene of a colliery disaster in
1869, when four men were
drowned after they struck an old
Finally, in 1830, Henrietta Anna
Howard Molyneux married John
George, the third Earl of
Carnarvon. The Carnarvons were
Lords of the Manor for 99 years,
until the death of Lady Elizabeth
Carnarvon in 1929.
In 1861, Teversal had comprised 69 houses and 351 inhabitants.
St Katherine’s Church,
"The Church of St. Catherine is of
stone, chiefly in the Norman style,
of which the doorway furnishes
an excellent example, and
consists of chancel, nave, aisles,
south porch and a western
embattled tower with pinnacles,
containing five bells."
[Kelly's Directory of
Nottinghamshire, pub 1900] This
is the only known Grad 1 listed
building in the area.
The name of the church was originally spelt 'Catherine', after St Catherine, but over the years, with the varied spelling ability of the clergy, it changed to St. Katherine’s.
In the north wall of the church are
three windows, of a type more
usually found in 15th century
manor houses. Some
archaeologists believe that the
windows came from nearby
Hardwick Hall. In the ruins of the
old hall there are three gaps,
once thought to contain windows.
The measurements of the gaps
are the same as the three
windows of the church.
The church was enlarged by J. Molyneux Esq. in 1617. He built a large family vault under the south aisle, where the Molyneux family were interred. The collection of Molyneux hatchments hanging in the church is said to be the most complete set in any church in the country. In 1877, a stained glass window was put into the chancel to commemorate the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon.
The old parish registers date back to
1571, and are in fair condition.
They include one of the areas
first references to coal mining,
when Ann Wilson, daughter of
John Wilson, a collier, was
baptised in September 1610.
Details of services and contact information for the parish and the church are available here
The Manor House
A 17th century Grade II listed
mansion that inspired DH
Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's
The stunning Teversal Manor, near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire is owned by John and the late Janet Marples and they have spent more than a decade restoring it. In DH Lawrence's 1928 tale, Constance Chatterley creeps from Wragby Hall, the home she shares with her paralysed husband Clifford, at night to conduct an affair with gamekeeper Oliver Mellors.
Properly known as Teversal Manor, the six-bedroom house is said to be the inspiration for Wragby Hall in Lady Chatterley's Lover and is referenced many times in the 1928 novel.
The Carnavon Arms
The Carnarvon is located in the
village of Teversal in rural
Nottinghamshire with its country
walks and nearby historic
At the heart of the pub is the unique 'Ship Room' where DH Lawrence was claimed to pen the famous 'Lady Chatterley's Lover'. This themed room will offer you the perfect retreat to enjoy a tipple with your friends or enjoy a dish from the delicious menus.
The contrasting decor of the restaurant offers an airy modern twist with a light oak wood floor, chunky ash furniture all finished with stylish Italian fabrics.
At the Carnarvon you can enjoy a relaxed, friendly and informal atmosphere with an extensive menu offering over 70 main course dishes, a wide range of draught beers, bottled lagers and traditional cask conditioned ales, and that's not forgetting the impressive wine list...
The award-winning campsite at
Teversal is surrounded by
gloriously varied walking country.
Opposite, the Silverhill Wood
Country Park offers direct access
to the Teversal Trails and miles of
walking and cycling
paths. Further afield the walking
and cycling trails of the
Derbyshire Dales and Peak
District offer more challenges
through ever changing scenery.
Teversal is an established
campsite. Hedges and greenery
pepper the site which boasts
fantastic amenities: auto sensor
power showers, individual
washrooms with shower, toilet
and sink, parent and child
facilities, a well-equipped laundry
and washing up area and
children’s play area. The shop is
well stocked and morning papers
are available. There’s even a
Silverhill Woods Country Park
Silverhill is an artificial hill near
Teversal in Nottinghamshire, and
is one of the highest points in the
county at 204.3 metres (670 ft).
Originally it was a mine spoil
heap on the site of the former
Silverhill colliery which closed in
the 1990s. It was subsequently
landscaped in 2005 by
Nottinghamshire County Council,
with tree planting, numerous
footpaths, and a viewpoint. It is
now known as Silverhill Woods,
and is one of a number of
recreation sites in the area.
These are linked together by
multi-user trails, many of which
incorporate the track beds of
disused railway lines which once
served the various local
Hamlets and Small Towns
Stanley, Norwood, Wild Hill,
Whiteborough, Stanton Hill,
Hardwick Hall, near
Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire, is
an architecturally significant
Elizabethan country house in
England, a leading example of
the Elizabethan prodigy house.
Built between 1590 and 1597 for
the formidable Bess of Hardwick,
it was designed by the architect
Robert Smythson, an exponent of
the Renaissance style of
architecture. Hardwick Hall is one
of the earliest examples of the
English interpretation of this style,
which came into fashion having
slowly spread from Florence. Its
arrival in Britain fortuitously
coincided with the period when it
was no longer necessary or legal
to fortify a domestic dwelling.
Ownership of the house was transferred to the National Trust
Today, it is fully open to the public.
The Hardwick Inn near
Dating back to the 15th century
and built of locally quarried
sandstone, Hardwick Inn is
pleasantly situated on the south
gate of Hardwick Park, leading
from the National Trust's
When you step over the threshold, there is a feeling of stepping back in time. The traditional, historic feel has been retained while also providing a comfortable, friendly atmosphere in which to enjoy some fine food and drink. In winter, the whole area is kept snug and cosy with open, coal fires.
The Inn has been in the family for three generations. The present landlords Peter and Pauline Batty, pride themselves on providing efficient & friendly service to their customers old and new.
People come from miles around to sample the food with a wide-ranging menu of homecooked dishes catering to all tastes and appetites. The Hardwick Inn is a special place, as it is steeped in history and tradition. Children are welcome, and there's nowhere better for a family meal or quiet relaxing drink!
Address: Hardwick Inn, Hardwick Park, Chesterfield, Derbyshire. S44 5QJ Tel: 01246 850245
The Friends of Teversal
The Friends of Teversal are a
community group who represent
the interests of the people living
in the area of Teversal, Old
Teversal Village, Fackley, Stanley, Stanton Hill and
Norwood and they stage
community events. Membership
is free and all are invited to join.
Through a linked Management Trust they have leased the Manor Room, Teversal Village as a Community Centre and place to hire for small functions.
Contact details: Richard Goad Tel: 0300 777 1151 email: email@example.com Address: c/o Lime Tree Cottage, Buttery Lane, Teversal Village, Notts. NG17 3JN
The Manor Room
Built originally as a coach house
with groom's cottage for the
Teversal estate, it was later used
as a school.
The building was bequeathed to the village in 1929 by the Countess of Carnarvon as a community facility, closing in 2001 when it was in a poor state of repair.
With the aid of lottery funding, it was refurbished in the style of its use as a Victorian school house and is again functioning as a local meeting facility. It has recently had a further makeover. The building dates from the mid 18th century and is Listed Grade II.
The Heritage Group
Teversal is a unique place whose
history, like so many other
places, is in danger of being lost
to future generations.
Teversal Heritage Group was formed to record and preserve as much information, past and present, as is possible for future generations and to create an archive that can be accessed by the public. The long-term aim is to create a continuing historical record of the Teversal area. Photographs, documents and personal testimony are all important sources of information and the Group is actively seeking material to be accumulated in a heritage centre based in the Manor Room. Membership is free and those interested should contact Lynn Henstock on firstname.lastname@example.org
Doctors are located at
Healdswood Surgery, on the
B6014 near to the Chemists
(Gilbodys) and the library.
The contract details are: Tel: 01623 440144
Address: Skegby Family Medical Centre, Mansfield Road, Skegby, Sutton-in-Ashfield, Notts. NG173EE
Mydentist, Bath Lane, Mansfield ,
11 Bath Lane, Mansfield, NG18
2BU Tel: 01623 623792
NH Mansfield Dental Practice, 4 23 Bath Lane, Mansfield, NG18 2BU Tel: 01623 626015 3.78 Miles
NHS & Private Mydentist, Lowmoor Road, Kirkby in Ashfield Lowmoor Road, Notts, NG17 7DA Tel: 01623 753050 3.84 Miles
Station Street Dental Centre 62- 64 Station Street, Notts, NG17 7AP Tel: 01623 752033 5.6 miles
Titchfield Dental Clinic:- The Fourways, Leeming Lane South, Mansfield Woodhouse, NG19 9AH 01623 650650 email@example.com 5.6 miles
The nearest shops are situated in
Stanton Hill, some 5 minutes
away by car (1.4 miles).
The largest store is The Cooperative Supermarket with a cash point and large car park.
In the High Street may be found a good quality fish and chip shop, chinese takeaway, flower shops, a Deli, off licence, hardware store, etc.,
Further afield are the town centres of Mansfield, Sutton in Ashfield and Kirkby in Ashfield, all some 5 miles away.
Childcare, Infant and Primary schools
Skegby Junior Academy Tel:
01623 460329 Ash Grove,
Skegby, Nottinghamshire NG17
Nurseryworld & Friends LtdellTel: 01623 701106
Grenfield House, Douglas Road, Sutton-In- Ashfield, NG17 2EE
Healdswood Infant & Nursery School Tel: 01623 462449 Barker Avenue, Skegby, Sutton-In- Ashfield, Notts, NG173FQ
Bright Stars Childcare Services Tel: 01623 701828 Brook Street, Sutton-in-Ashfield, NG17 1ES
Lammas Independent School Tel: 01623 516879 Lammas Rd, Sutton-In-Ashfield, NG17 2AD
St. Andrew's C of E Primary School Tel: 01623 484522 Mansfield Rd, Skegby, Sutton-In- Ashfield, NG17 3DW
St. Mary Magdalene C of E Primary School Tel: 01623 464246 Springwood View Close, Sutton-In-Ashfield, NG172HR
Forest Glade Primary School Tel: 01623 452770 Mansfield Rd, Sutton-In-Ashfield, NG17 4GR
All Saints Church of England Infant School Tel: 01623 459199 Common Rd, Huthwaite, Sutton- In-Ashfield, NG17 2JR
Cherubs Childcare Centre Tel: 01623 420940 Welbeck Road, Mansfield, NG19 9LA
Dalestorth Primary School Tel: 01623 459339 Hill Crescent, Sutton-In-Ashfield, NG17 4JA
Tibshelf Infant & Nursery School Tel: 01773 872571 144 High St, Tibshelf, Alfreton, DE55 5PP
Anthony Bek Primary School Tel: 01623 810355 Rotherham Rd, Pleasley, Mansfield, NG19 7PG
Redgate Special School Tel: 01623 455944 Somersall St, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG19 6EL
Quarrydale School Stoneyford
Road, Sutton-in-Ashfield, NG17
Lammas School Lammas Road, Sutton-in-Ashfield, NG17 2AD 3 Sutton Community Academy High Pavement, Sutton-in- Ashfield, NG17 1EE
The Beech Academy Fairholme Drive, Mansfield, NG19 6DX
All Saints RC Comprehensive School Broomhill Lane, Mansfield, NG19 6BW
Ashfield Comprehensive School Sutton Road, Kirkby-in-Ashfield, Nottingham, NG17 8HP
Queen Elizabeth's Academy Chesterfield Road South, Mansfield, NG19 7AP
Vision Studio School Chesterfield Road South, Mansfield, NG19 7BB
King's Mill Hospital: Mansfield
Nottinghamshire NG17 4JL Tel:
01623 622515 - NEAREST A&E
Nottingham City Hospital: Hucknall Road, Nottingham. NG5 1PB Tel: 0115 969 1169
Queen's Medical Centre: University Hospital NHS Trust, Derby Road, Nottingham. NG7 2UH Tel: 0115 924 9924
Chesterfield and North Derbyshire Royal Hospital: Chesterfield, Derbyshire. S44 5BL Tel: 01246 277271
The Park Hospital: Burnstump
Country Park, Arnold,
Nottingham. NG5 8RX Tel: 0115
The Nottingham Road Clinic: Nottingham Road, Mansfield, Notts. NG18 4AA Tel: 01623 624137